Mini Bakewell Tarts
Whether or not the Bakewell Tart originated in Derbyshire in the 19th Century, it is definitely a family favourite.
- 320g pack pre made dessert pastry
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 55g ground almonds
- 1tsp almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25g self-raising flour
- 2-3 tbsp cherry jam
- 20g icing sugar
- 6 glacé cherries
- Toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190°C.
- Roll the pastry out and cut out rounds.
- Line the tartlet tins, then pop in some cupcake cases or parchment paper and baking beans.
- Bake for 10 mins, remove the beans and the paper.
- Add the butter and the sugar to a bowl and beat until creamy. Add in ground almonds and almond extract, beaten egg and flour, and beat together.
- Add 1/2 - 1tsp jam to each pastry case, top with the almond mixture and bake for 15-20 mins. Remove the tarts from the oven and leave to cool.
- Finally mix the icing sugar with 1tsp warm water, spread the icing over each tart, top with a cherry and the toasted flaked almonds.
With almonds that are high in protein and fibre, you cam feel a little bit virtuous when you eat these delicious bakewell tarts
You could make it yourself, but pre-made pastry is so much easier!